Northern Ireland equality legislation is complex and substantially different to that in England and Wales, and the Republic of Ireland.
Employees can be discriminated against on the grounds of a protected characteristic; that is discrimination on the grounds of their sex, race, disability, age, religion, political opinion or sexual orientation.
The O’Reilly Stewart Employment Department offers experience and expertise in the following services:
- Reviewing and drafting policies and procedures to ensure compliance with legislation
- Advises in respect of grievances raised by employees relating to discrimination, bullying and harassment and victimisation
- Advising employers on reasonable adjustments within the workplace
- Representing employers at the Industrial Tribunal and Fair Employment Tribunal defending discrimination claims
- Advising employees of their rights in the workplace and representing employees who have been discriminated against