Between October and December 2019, just under 2,000 new build properties were completed in Northern Ireland. New build properties continue to be a very popular and there are over 300 new build developments currently being bought and sold in Northern Ireland. Buyers are attracted to high specification brand new homes that they can put their own stamp on.
The highly experienced O’Reilly Stewart team have worked on countless developments and can smoothly steer you through the purchase of your new build property.
Some of the unique characteristics of a new build purchase are discussed below:
- Buying ‘off-plan’ this means buying a property before it is built. You will therefore be basing your purchase on the show home and brochures. This means you may also be able to choose certain aspects of the design.
- What is included? Make sure you are aware of what is included in the purchase price and what will be added to the final account when you complete the purchase. One of the main advantages of a new build is that you can usually choose your own fixtures and finishes.
- New build mortgages some lenders put stricter limits on the maximum value of a property on which they will offer a loan. This means you could be restricted to borrowing 85% of the value of a new-build house.
- 10-year warranty new-build homes come with a 10-year warranty covering structural defects. This warranty doesn’t cover you for wear and tear, or anything caused by you not having the appropriate maintenance work carried out.
- Snag list you can view the property between the exchange of contracts and completion and make a list of minor repairs which you want to be made to the property before or just after completion.
If you have any queries in relation to the above, a member our Property Team will be happy to help.