Accidents Abroad Or In Republic Of Ireland

O’Reilly Stewart Solicitors have a specialised team which have experience in assisting individuals who have been involved in accidents whilst on holiday or abroad. If you have been involved in an accident in another Country we may be able to help you recover compensation.

If you have sustained injuries in an accident in another Country there is legislation in place which may permit you to bring your claim in the Courts here in Northern Ireland. It is important to remember that different time limits within which to take your claim will apply and on that basis it is important that you contact us right away for immediate advice.

Equally if you are visiting Northern Ireland and have been unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident here we will be able to assist.

Many people from here in Northern Ireland go on holiday in the Republic of Ireland. If you are in a road traffic accident in the South or sustain injuries in any other type of accident, we can assist. Your case can be brought here in Northern Ireland and we will be able to arrange examination with local medical experts meaning less travel and inconvenience for you.

Through our experience in acting in these challenging cases we have developed relationships with experts in many other jurisdictions which will ensure you get the best possible advice in respect of the procedures and time limits which apply.

Our experienced accident abroad team will assist with the following;

  • Personal injury compensation
  • Dealing with the police
  • Dealing with insurance companies
  • Excess recovery
  • Compensation for vehicle devaluation
  • Car hire and courtesy vehicles
  • Physiotherapy & rehabilitation
  • Recovery of lost wages and expenses
  • Uninsured and untraced drivers

If you have been involved in an accident abroad and would like advice from a solicitor in Northern Ireland, please contact O’Reilly Stewart solicitors on 90321000 or by email

Please also read the following for some preliminary advice (link to what to do if you have been involved in an accident abroad) and then download our Accident Report Form to record all relevant information required to enable us to open a file on your behalf. The Form can be downloaded by clicking here (link)

To access case studies relating to our past experiences in acting for clients who have been involved in an accident abroad or in the Republic of Ireland please click here (link to case studies)


What you should do if you have been involved in an accident abroad

Claims involving accidents abroad are significantly more complex than accidents here in Northern Ireland however we have successfully recovered compensation for client’s who have had the misfortune of being involved in an accident in another Country.

The following information should help set out what steps ought to be taken in order to claim for compensation. It is important to remember that when making a claim for compensation, the onus is on you to prove your case. If you have an accident you should take the following steps to ensure that we have sufficient details to be able to investigate the accident for you:

  • Record the name and address of the offending motorist together with the registration of their vehicle.
  • Report the incident to the Police right away. The Police will provide you with a reference number which you should retain. You may have to make a statement to Police. Please request an interpreter and do not accept liability. If liability clearly rests with the other driver the Police may release a copy of their report to you. Please retain this.
  • If there were witnesses to the accident, retain their name and contact details.
  • Take photographs using our App of the accident locus, vehicles after impact (if applicable) and any other vehicles involved.
  • If the accident was captured on CCTV, request a copy of the CCTV or record contact details for the CCTV management company.
  • Liaise with your travel operator or hotel as they may be able to assist in gathering all relevant information from PSNI and from your car hire provider.

If you are injured in the accident it is important that you seek medical advice. If you attend Hospital in another Country please ask for copies of your hospital notes. If the hospital will not provide you with the notes please, their notes and records can be used to prove that you sustained an injury in the accident. If you attend a private Hospital/ medical facility please retain your receipt for the cost of the medical examination as we may be able to recover this on your behalf.

It is important that you retain any invoices in relation to expenses incurred due to the accident so that we can include these in your claim. We will also claim for loss of any enjoyment of your holiday or additional expenses incurred to get you home.

  • Share

Our Personal Injury Experts

For further information and advice please contact our experienced legal team.

This website or its third-party tools use cookies, which are necessary to its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in the cookie policy. By clicking a link or continuing to browse otherwise, you agree to the use of cookies.